Call us  (866) 521-6422

4380 SW Macadam Ave • Suite 150 Portland, OR 97239

  • Keeping Families Together — PIP for Family Members of Military Members

    Posted on November 16, 2013 by in Uncategorized

    Keeping Families Together: Could policy change to allow immediate relatives (spouses, children, and parents) of United States Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents to gain immigration status without having to leave the United States?

    Many undocumented relatives have to leave the United States in order to gain their immigration status through their United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident spouse, child or parent — this is typically the case when their entry to the United States was unlawful (even for those who were brought here as children). Currently, many undocumented relatives must also seek a provisional waiver (I-601A) or waiver (I-601) for their unlawful status and the 3 or 10 year bar for being in the United States without documents. This bar is listed under Immigration and Nationality Act 212(a)(9)(B). Then the undocumented relative must leave the United States, separating them from their family, in order to gain their lawful status.

    We have a step in the right direction!

    Many undocumented spouses, children, & parents in the USA of active duty members of the US Armed Forces, Reservists, or Veterans may now apply for Parole in Place (PIP) and in many instances, adjustment of status to legal permanent resident, without having to leave the United States. This policy keeps families together!

Comments are closed.