Call us  (866) 521-6422

4380 SW Macadam Ave • Suite 150 Portland, OR 97239

Adjustment of status

An immigrant may avoid deportation by applying for an adjustment of status. A deportable immigrant who is the child, parent, spouse, or widow of a U.S. citizen may be eligible to apply to the judge to adjust his or her status to that of a legal permanent resident. An immigrant whose priority dates for permanent residence are current may also receive an adjustment of status. A spouse or child of the principal asylee may adjust to permanent residence status at the same time as the asylee, unless the asylee becomes divorced before final adjustment or the child becomes 21. But they retain their status as asylees. An immigrant who has an approved labor certification may adjust their status to that of legal permanent resident.