Call us  (866) 521-6422

4380 SW Macadam Ave • Suite 150 Portland, OR 97239


The F-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa for academic or language training students qualified to attend full time college, university, conservatory, academic high school, and any institutions with language training programs in the U.S. The F visa is the most popular visa for the purpose of pursuing study in the U.S.

F Visa Requirements:

  • Completion of requirements for the enrollment to the USCIS approved school the foreign student will be entering,
  • Obtain Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status (I-20A-B),
  • Be proficient in English unless the student will be participating in an English training program, or the school will teach the student English,
  • Intends to leave the U.S. after the completion of study,
  • Proof of sufficient funds to cover all school and living expenses while studying in the U.S.

F visa Application Process:
First, the foreign student must apply and be accepted to a school specifically approved by the USCIS. Once accepted to attend, the school will provide an I-20 form to the student. The F visa application, along with other required documents, should be submitted at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of permanent residence. Also, a personal interview with consulate is usually required for the first time F visa applicants.

Foreign students may not work off-campus at anytime during the first year of study. After one year, students may be allowed to accept off-campus employment. Student may accept on-campus employment without the permission of USCIS.

Other Information:
Once granted a F-1 visa, a foreign student will be allowed to stay in the U.S. for the “Duration of Status,” which is indicated on the I-94. The “Duration of Status” is the period during which a foreign student is enrolled as a full-time student, and pursuing to complete his/her course of study. Foreign students are required to maintain a full time student status. At the end of the study, foreign students have 60 days to leave the U.S. For more information on the F visa, please contact our experienced attorneys for a free consultation.