Call us  (866) 521-6422

4380 SW Macadam Ave • Suite 150 Portland, OR 97239


M visa is a nonimmigrant visa granted to those pursuing nonacademic or vocational studies in the U.S. Through the M visa, a student has an opportunity to receive training in the U.S. to strengthen their technical and vocational skills. Students must attend USCIS approved school to obtain M visa and these schools are usually those that offer vocational and technical training.

M Visa Requirements:

  • Accepted to attend USCIS approved school,
  • Obtain a form called “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M visa) Student Status For Vocational Students” (I-20M-N),
  • Proof that there are sufficient funds to cover all school and living expenses for the entire period of intended stay,
  • Intends to leave the U.S. after the completion of study,

M Visa Application Process:
To obtain an M visa, the foreign student must first apply and be accepted to a school approved by the USCIS. Once accepted to attend, the school will provide a form called “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M visa) Student Status For Vocational Students (I-20M-N) to the student. The M visa application, along with other required forms and documents, should be submitted at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction over the applicant’s place of permanent residence.

Other Information:
M visa can be extended if studies will take longer than the Duration of Status date, or vocational program takes longer than a year. M visa student may not accept employment unless it is a temporary employment for practical training after completing the studies. Also, an interview is usually required for the first time M visa applicants. For more information regarding the M visa, please contact our experienced attorneys for a free consultation.