Immigration Blog

July 7, 2024

Emergency Advance Parole (AP)

a view of the wing of an airplane in the sky

Advance Parole (AP) allows non-citizens residing in the U.S. to travel abroad temporarily and return legally with authorization. Those with DACA, TPS, T-Visa, U-Visa, and those who have applied for Lawful Permanent Resident Status are eligible to apply for an Advance Parole Document for employment, humanitarian, or educational purposes.

The processing time for an Advance Parole document varies between 4 and 24.5 months, depending on the USCIS field office handling the request. To leave and reenter the country legally, one must apply for a Travel Document using Form I-131.

Emergency Advance Parole

In urgent or critical humanitarian situations, non-citizens may apply for an emergency Advance Parole document at their local USCIS field office.

Examples of emergencies are:

  • A medical procedure that you urgently need or are not able to access in the United States
  • Visiting a critically ill or sick family member
  • Caring for a family member following a medical procedure or other emergencies
  • Attending the funeral of a close family member

To apply for emergency Advance Parole, you will need to provide evidence supporting the urgency of your situation.

How to Expedite and Schedule an Infopass Appointment

If you need to expedite your advance parole application or schedule an emergency appointment, follow these steps:

  1. Expedite Requests: Submit your expedited request at least 45 days before your intended travel date. If your travel date is within 15 days, you must request an in-person appointment at your local USCIS Field Office.
    Examples of emergencies include:

    • A pressing or critical need to travel for urgent medical treatment.
    • A pressing or critical need to travel due to the death or grave illness of a family member.
    • A pressing or critical need for professional, academic, or personal commitments.
  2. Requesting an Expedite or In-Person Appointment: You must call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 and navigate through the automated system to request an Infopass for an emergency parole document. Be prepared to explain your reason for travel. You should expect a callback from USCIS within 3 business days to schedule your in-person appointment.
  3. USCIS Account: Log in to your USCIS account and access the secure messaging center. From there, you have the option to submit your expedited request by selecting “expedite” as the inquiry reason and upload supporting evidence.
  4. Online Infopass Requests: You are also able to use the USCIS website to schedule an appointment. (

Preparing for an Infopass Appointment for Emergency Advance Parole

If you’ve scheduled an Infopass appointment for an emergency Advance Parole document, here’s what you need to bring:

  1. Form I-131:A completed Application for a Travel Document along with the $630 filing fee (check written out to “US Department of Homeland Security” or a credit/debit card).
    *Even if you have a pending Form I-131, you must file a new form at your local field office, as emergency parole documents cannot be filed online.
  2. Supporting Documents:
    • A copy of your current Employment Authorization Document.
    • Approval notice for TPS, DACA, or other relevant status.
    • A written statement explaining the immediate need to travel.
    • Evidence supporting your urgent need to travel (e.g., medical documents, doctor’s notes, death certificates, funeral arrangements, letters from relatives).
    • Proof of a valid passport
    • Birth certificates to demonstrate family relationships.
    • Two passport-style photographs.

    *Ensure any documents in a language other than English have a certified English translation.

During Your Appointment:

Be prepared to explain your emergency travel needs. The decision to grant Advance Parole will be made at the discretion of the supervisor and the USCIS Field Office based on the urgency and the supporting evidence provided. If your request is denied, you can refile your application with USCIS through the mail.

Keep in mind that leaving the U.S. without proper authorization can negatively affect your immigration status or pending applications. Consulting an immigration attorney for advice and options is highly recommended.

If you are interested in applying or would like more information, Attorney Diana Bailey of Portland and Fresno has over 25 years of immigration law experience.  Please call our office for a free telephone consultation 503-224-0950.