President Obama created a policy whereby some childhood arrivals to the United States will qualify for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Some people also refer to this as the ‘Dream Act’ though it is not the Dream Act. If your application is approved, you will receive a work permit valid for 2 years. CURRENTLY USCIS IS ONLY ACCEPTING DACA RENEWALS–YOU MUST HAVE HAD DACA IN THE PAST TO BE ABLE TO APPLY.
- USCIS charges $495 for this application.
- You will need to prove that you entered the USA before your 16th birthday.
- You must have been under 30 years old on June 15, 2012.
- You will need to prove continuous residence in the USA from June 15th, 2007 to present and prove that you were in the USA on June 15, 2012.
- You will need 2 passport style photos, photo identification, and some type of national identity document.
- You will also need your high school diploma or Ged certificate. You may also show that you are currently in school or a ged or other alternate school program.
If you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime or have pending charges, you may be ineligible and you should seek the advice of an attorney before filing your application.