U-Visa Lawyer For Victims of Crime

Get help from a Portland Lawyer to apply for a U Visa.

If you have ever been a victim of a crime in the USA or if an immediate family member has ever been a victim of crime in the USA, you may qualify for a U visa. Only certain crimes against you or your immediate family member will qualify you or your family member for this visa. Some examples are domestic violence, sexual abuse, felony assault, kidnapping, unlawful restraint, human trafficking and others.

Generally, the acting police department, agency, district attorney or judge, must certify that you were a victim of a qualifying crime and that you were helpful to that agency. Note it is not required that these agencies sign your U certification, but it must be signed in order to apply for a U visa.

With a U visa, you will get a work permit valid for four years in U visa status. After 3 years, you may apply for legal permanent residency. Once we file for the U visa with USCIS, it usually takes 13 months to get an approval or denial. Your immediate family members may also be eligible to apply with you.

Violence Against Women Act (“VAWA”)

VAWA was enacted in 1994 to address concerns about violent crimes against women in domestic violence, stalking, sexual assault, as well as other serious crimes. Did you know that VAWA applies to more than just women? It is also possible to gain VAWA-based permanent residence even if the individual resides outside of the U.S.

Why are you the right immigration lawyer to file for a U Visa?

The process of applying for a U visa is a complex and time consuming process & can be complex and we are compassionate to what you have been through. We have helped hundreds of clients obtain the U visa.  If you need help with filing a U visa application or want to know if you may be eligible, contact Bailey Immigration at (866) 521-6422.  Let us show you why we are the best immigration attorney in Portland Oregon to guide you through this difficult and emotional process.