Immigration Blog

September 6, 2022

Common Questions & Answers for Legal Permanent Residents

Lost Green Card

There seems to be a lot of misinformation when it comes to the rights and responsibilities of Legal Permanent Residents. Although you can breathe a little easier after obtaining your green card, there are still a number of things you must do to stay in good standing. Here we will go over commonly asked questions regarding Legal Permanent Residency.

Can you vote or participate in jury duty as a Legal Permanent Resident?

No. You must be a United States Citizen to vote or participate in Jury Duty. Participating in either of these can be seen as a claim to US citizenship and can bar you from ever obtaining your US citizenship.

Do you have to continue updating your address with Immigration even after you receive your Green Card?

Yes. You must update your address with Immigration until you become a United States Citizen. For more information on how to update your address see our blog on change of address.

Can you still get deported if you have a green card?

Yes. Obtaining your residency does not mean you cannot get deported. If you commit a crime severe enough you might be placed in deportation proceedings. Some examples are some theft crimes, drug crimes, fraud, or helping an undocumented person enter the USA illegally… to name a few.

When can you apply for your US Citizenship?

You can apply after 5 years of having your Residency or in 3 years if you obtained your residency through a United States Citizen spouse and you are still married to your U.S.C. spouse and living with your U.S.C. spouse.

Can you be outside of the country for as long as you want?

You must be in the U.S. for at least 6 months of the year. If you were to stay outside for more than the allowed time it can be seen as an abandonment of your residency and prevent you from renewing your residency or applying for your U.S. Citizenship and/or result in deportation and loss of your LPR status.

Is an Employment Authorization Card the same thing as a Green Card?

No. Although both cards allow you to work in the US, a Green Card is given to Legal Permanent Residents and can be used to travel outside of the United States. An Employment Authorization Card only allows you to work legally in the U.S. and is usually obtained through another pending petition with Immigration.

Please call our team for a free telephone consultation 866-521-6422.