Immigration Blog

August 9, 2023

Updates on the Processes for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans

letterhead from the USCIS bordered by American flags

The advance authorization has left many applicants with hope of being able to be paroled into the U.S. It was said that four countries would be able to take advantage of this program if they qualified and had a sponsor in the U.S. Moreover, it created a lawful pathway and the opportunity to work with an authorization card.

Form I-134a, Online Request to be a Supporter and Declaration of Financial Support, is used for this process.

By submitting an I-134a onto the USCIS account, you are able to track any updates on the “case status” section. However, they do issue a receipt notice and that informs the sponsor that the information provided will be evaluated and a response will be given. They will either issue an approval or a request for more evidence. Unfortunately, immigration is only issuing around 30,000 travel documents a month. There is currently no processing time nor can we submit any inquiries or messages about this case as they are reviewing them on a case by case basis. This means that USCIS will randomly select about half of the monthly total regardless of filing date. The other half of the monthly total of Forms I-134A will be based on when the case was submitted to prioritize the oldest Forms I-134A for review.

There is a high interest in this process which has prolonged the wait times. It’s important that the sponsor keeps track of their USCIS account. In the scenario, where there is a request for more evidence the sponsor is responsible for responding to this. The only way to be able to move onto the second process of the step is getting an approval. The approval is given when the USCIS officer has reviewed the I-134a and found it to be sufficient.

If you are interested in applying or would like more information, Attorney Diana Bailey of Portland and Fresno has over 23 years of immigration law experience. Please call our office for a free telephone consultation at 866-521-6422.